Head lice are tiny wingless parasites that live atop the head, grasp onto the hair, and feed off the scalp. Lice bugs are about the size of sesame seed and tan to brown in color with three legs on each side of their body. Lice eggs are about the size of a poppy seed and clear to white in color. They are stuck to the hair with a glue like substance close the scalp and they are difficult to remove.
If you do discover small objects in the hair that match this description, do not panic! Head lice are not dangerous and do not carry disease. There are several home remedies for lice scattered across the internet, but we took the liberty of combining them for you into this easy to read blog post!
Home Remedies for Head Lice
Most home remedies for head lice involve smothering or suffocating the lice with natural oils or oil based household products. Below is a guide to using almond oil or olive oil to get rid of head lice. So, choose your oil, get a sturdy nit comb and a hand towel, and follow the instructions below.
- Cover the hair with the oily substance of your choice. You can use your hands to apply the oil or you can comb the oil into the hair. Make sure to coat each strand of the hair and massage the oil into the scalp thoroughly. Use a generous amount of oil on the head.
- Separate the hair into small manageable sections. You may want to use a clip to move the remaining hair out of the way while you deal with one section at a time.
- Make sure you are in brightly lit room before you begin the nit combing process, so you can clearly see what you are doing. Use the nit comb to run through each section of the hair, making sure to wipe the nit comb on the towel after each pass through and then rinse it under hot water before combing the next section. Do this until each section has been combed out
- Wash the hair with ordinary shampoo and conditioner thoroughly and check through the hair to make sure it is clear. If you do come across any bug or nits pluck them from the head and flush them.
- Do this process from the beginning every day for one week. After a week’s time, check through the hair for another week for another 7 days to make sure there are no nits or lice in the hair.
- If lice if discovered in the hair, repeat this process until the head is completely clear of lice and nits
- Make sure to wash bedding, towels, clothing, and washable items that have come in contact with lice in hot water and on high heat in the dyer.
This method is natural and effective; however, it can be time consuming. There are herbal lice treatments on the market that are effective and remedy lice and nits within one day. We recommend ClearLice herbal treatment or Licenex if you do decide to go this route. You can also opt for a nit picking service, which will come to your home and treat everyone that is infested. Here is a number to find lice removal services in your state: 1-833-headlice.